Thursday, July 21, 2011

Has it been 4 months already?


I can't believe our little baby is already 4 months old! It's amazing to see how he's grown and changed so much already in his short little life. Before I get into all the adventures during his 4th month of life, let me recap his milestones:

-sleeping: he's still sleeping pretty well. We continue to swaddle him and when he wakes up at night it's usually because he's managed to bust out of his straight jacket! I think we're going to start working on getting him to sleep unswaddled. He sleeps so well swaddled that it's hard to stop doing it! I'm just afraid that he will keep busting out of his swaddle and not sleep at all anymore or that he will become too dependent on the swaddle and he won't fit in it for much longer (fyi- we are using the "Miracle Blanket"- other swaddles and blankets cannot contain this boy-this blanket is like a straight jacket and works like a charm). When he does wake up in the middle of the night, he doesn't usually cry, he just lays there and squeals and makes funny sounds and when you go in his room he's usually giving me a big smile like this:
Although this sweet face is hard to resist, your body quickly reminds you that it's 3 a.m. and it would like more sleep. So either I re-wrap him up or pop the nuk in his mouth and he's down for the count (or at least for another hour or more). He goes to sleep around 8 (sometimes later, depending on if we're out) and gets up around 6 (or 7 if I'm really lucky!). He usually goes back down in the morning right away for another hour or so and then takes another nap around 10:30. He usually takes an afternoon nap for 2 hours or so (although sometimes he likes to just lay in his crib and squeal).

-eating: He still likes to eat a lot! It shows- I definitely think he's gotten quite chunky- I love his chubby thighs! I think I'm going to hold off on solids until he's 6 months. He's sleeping well at night and seems content so why change it up.

-playing: Tucker is almost rolling over. He did it once, but I think it was accidental. I tried to get him to do it again and it wouldn't happen. He loves laying on his back and he's gotten himself all the way on the side but hasn't quite gotten over to his tummy yet. I'm sure it's coming soon! He's discovered his hands. He's had them in his mouth for a while now but I think he finally just figured out that they are attached to him and not just a toy that falls into his mouth out of the blue. He's also discovered his toes. He likes to kick his legs straight up and stare at his feet. He can just about reach his toes with his hands and I'm pretty sure they will be making it to his mouth pretty soon! Other fun milestones:

He's likes to giggle! And we like to make him giggle!

He blows bubbles!


He's starting to learn how to jump in his jumper!
He's big enough to play in his exersaucer!

Bath time is tons of fun!



More adventures from Month 4 include:

-Visiting Grandpa Don and Grandma Jane in the northwoods for a whole week. Jared went to YoungLife camp with Appleton high school kids for a week so Tucker and I went up north. It was a really relaxing and fun time. My aunt, uncle, and cousins from Minneapolis came for the 4th of July and loved hanging out with Tucker:
Tucker also experienced his first dip in the lake. He wasn't too sure what to think about it. In fact, he screamed when his toes touched the water! He didn't do much swimming, but still enjoyed hanging out on the beach with Grandma Jane:
Loving the beach!

He also enjoyed hanging out with Grandpa Don:

Other highlights from the trip to Minocqua: going to the Minocquabats (waterski show), watching fireworks, and getting to see more cousins! My Aunt Betty brought her 3 grandkids up for the day and we had fun eating lunch and ice cream outside by the lake:
-Spending time in Appleton. We also enjoyed hanging out with family and friends around Appleton. Grandma Lauri had a birthday and we loved spending the day over at their house. Here's the best shot I got at a picture of Grandma Lauri and her 4 grandkids!


We are sooo blessed to live close to family and Tucker's is incredibly lucky to have 3 awesome cousins close in age and just a couple of miles away!

-Tucker's first pool experience! After the lake incident, I wasn't sure he'd be too interested. Turns out I was wrong. On one of those crazy hot days, we went to our friends, Fred and Isa's house to swim. Tucker loved the water!

I also took Tucker to a man-made lake nearby that has a nice beach for sitting and swimming. We went with some teacher friends and their kids. He screamed when I first put his feet in, but quickly got used to it and loved sitting in my lap in the water! I'm so happy he's loving the water. I was always such a fish as a kid and I hope he is too!

-Appleton Farmer's Market- on Saturdays, we like to walk to the Farmer's Market. It's a good 40 minute walk each way but Tucker seems to love hanging out in the "big" stroller and watching all the people. It's one of my favorite things to do as our little family of 3!
More of my favorite photos from the month:


We head up north again tomorrow. This time to Eagle River for a week with Jared's extended family. There will be 30 adults and 5 babies (under 2!) in 1 house for the week. It's a really huge, nice house with a beach and boat slips right there. We are really excited to relax for the week (Jared's really excited to fish for the week!). More photos from the trip to come!

We bring in Tucker for his 4 month checkup when we get back. I'll update after the visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment